The unit is responsible for initiating surcharge proceedings against officers who are directly or indirectly responsible for any loss to government as stipulated in the Finance Instruction 2010 Section 63-(1).
The types of surcharge cases facilitated by the unit are as follows:
- Damage to Government owned and leased Vehicles;
- Loss of cash, inventory, property, plant and equipment;
- Unauthorized expenditure;
- Claims against Government; and
- Overpayment of salaries and wages.
In ensuring that the initiation of surcharge are carried out according to the relevant laws. The surcharge officers facilitate the surcharge process according to the steps below:
- Step 1 – Analysis of the surcharge case to ensure receipt of all relevant documents;
- Step 2 – Submission of surcharge write up to the surcharging authority;
- Step 3 – Surcharge letters issued to the officers for a response within 14 days;
- Step 4 – Submission of the response to the surcharging authority;
- Step 5 – Submission of the decision to surcharge to surcharged officers; and
- Step 6 – Facilitation of the surcharge appeal.